Friday, August 27, 2010

Beader's Guide or Color Palette

I am in a colour conundrum ...

I am in the process of deciding on a few new beading books to buy and decided I should explore and expand my knowledge of

COLOUR

I have been looking at two books by the Queen of Colour,
and am undecided as to which one to buy.


The Beader's Guide to Colour

or

The Beader's Color Palette?


Does anyone own either of these books and if so which one would you recommend, if not both.

I have to admit I have never been one to buy ''theory'' style beading books so this is a big leap for me!

What can I say I love lots of pretty pictures that I can drool over.

Any comments on the above two books would be greatly appreciated! 

11 comments:

DVArtist said...

Hi K. I know that if the books are by Margie then they are both worth buying. Let me know which one you go with.
Nicole/Beadwright

Marcie Abney Carroll said...

The Beader's Color Palette all the way. It is the best color book out there. I do a color challenge on my blog every Mon. where I pick a color palette and challenge myself to create something new by the next Saturday! I would love for you to get the book and play along with me. It's the only book in my stash that I turn to again and again.

Karyn said...

Ok I think you have twisted my arm to buy Beader's Color Palette... and I'd love to play along with you in your weekly color challenge. I've been checking them out on your blog over the past few weeks!

Karyn

Belinda Saville said...

Karyn, I have The Beaders Guide to Color and it's a lovely book, plenty of eye candy in there! I didn't buy The Beaders Color Palette, simply because I thought I might be doubling up on colour information (although I'm sure one can never have too many books on colour!)

I'd highly recommend Beverly Ash Gilbert's book too. It has really useful colour wheels which you can pull out and match colours to with ease. It also has overlays for the colour wheels so you can instantly see many many different colour schemes, ie. complementary, split complementary, etc.

Good luck deciding, I don't think you can go wrong with either of Margie's books! ;-)

Karyn said...

Hmmmm I think I might just have to invest in both a) because I want to take part in the colour challenge and b) I trust Belinda's judgement!

I have Beverly Ash Gilbert's book which is great too.

Anyhooo one can never have too many books!

Kereki Kriszta gyöngyékszer tervező kézműves said...

HI! I have made one of your cabs, you can see here: http://manogyongyei.blogspot.com/2010/08/nyeremeny-befoglalas-i.html

Thank you!!!

Beading Butterfly said...

Hmmm, I don't have either of Margie's books, but I have seen them and they are both fabulous. I'm not sure which I would choose. I have a book that I love called The Beader's Color Mixing Directory by Sandra Wallace, which is also great for eye candy. Every page layout is a different color palette showing multiple pieces made with the scheme as well as a little chart with the colors used and in what percentages so you can get a feel for how they created the color scheme.

University of Iowa Meg said...

Hey- just stumbled upon your blog. Super cute! I have JUST entered the jewelry making world, so I am excited to follow your blog!

Pretty Things said...

Those books are great -- I'm not a seed beader but they're still a great resource for me.

Karyn said...

Thanks everyone for your comments on the books.I think I might splurge and get both :D

LissC said...

If you do decide to get both I would love to hear a book review on them as I don't have either of those. I do have beaded colorways which I very much like. So it would be fun to hear what you think of all three compared. It may inspire me to buy more books. Not that I ever need inspiration for that. I always have like 40 books in my wish list on amazon :)

If you buy both from amazon you can get the free shipping. I think it's over 25.00 is free shipping.

Related Posts with Thumbnails